Reserves - Guidelines
The Library offers reserves for physical materials, including books, DVDs, CDs, and games. Please use our submission forms to submit your requests.
Please allow 2-4 days to process reserve lists.
Materials needed for the first week of classes should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the beginning of classes. If you have any questions or special needs, please contact Library staff.
The library will acquire one print copy or an e-book version of all course adoption books whenever possible. Print copies will be placed on reserve at the start of each semester. For information about adopted course materials please contact Kate Wing
Faculty may request additional books be placed on reserve at any time over the course of the semester by using the reserve submission form. These can include circulating library books or your personal copies.
- Books from libraries other than Bowdoin may not be placed on reserve.
- To ensure that we assign the correct priority to all reserves, please fill in the date by which each item is needed for reserve on the reserve submission form.
If the library does not own a needed book or if you require additional copies, please order through Acquisitions and indicate "RESERVE" on the order form. Please allow at least four weeks for receipt of any new book. It is acceptable to order a book for Bowdoin Reserve even if it is already held at Bates or Colby.
- Streaming films from library databases can be linked for addition to your course reserves or directly to your Canvas site. For assistance please contact Bart D'Alauro.
- Films on DVD from the Bowdoin collection can be digitized and streamed by filling out a Request Form. Allow two weeks for processing.
- You may request DVDs from Colby or Bates for class showings, but we cannot place them on reserve. Please request these in your own name, and time the request so you'll have the material available for your class showing. The loan period is typically seven days.
- Physical DVDs can be placed on reserve in either the Media Commons or Hatch Library. Personal copies may be placed on reserve if they were recorded within copyright guidelines.
- If the library does not own a DVD that you would like acquired for the collection, please use this form to request. Note that it is needed for reserve. Please allow at least four weeks for receipt and processing of any new item.