The Library welcomes requests from students, faculty, and staff for materials in all formats. For database requests, please contact your librarian liaison.
To request an order:
- Check CBBcat to verify that Bowdoin does not already have the item. We will purchase duplicate copies of books held at Colby and/or Bates if requested.
- Fill out the Order Request Form, including the ISBN if possible.
- For DVD requests, indicate specific viewing dates and which version of a film you are requesting. Request foreign films well in advance.
Provide as much information as possible for foreign films and allow a significant lead time for their receipt. Note that recent documentaries are not always immediately available for purchase.
« Hide Description
- Note if the item is needed by a specific date.
- If the item is needed immediately, please contact Donna Van Dyck, Ordering Assistant, to expedite your request.
- Faculty traveling abroad who wish to purchase books and DVDs should contact their librarian liaison in advance.
- Items are typically available to you within 2-4 weeks
The Library contracts with a book vendor, which provides significant cost savings and initial processing of the books.
« Hide Description
- CBBcat shows the status of the order: “On Order,” and “In Process” (item has arrived and is being cataloged). You may request expedition of an “In Process” item by contacting Donna Van Dyck, Ordering Assistant, or Mary Macul, Catalog Librarian.
- The Library generally does not purchase textbooks for reserve or for the library collection.
- We will search for out-of-print items.
Questions? Contact Donna Van Dyck, Ordering Assistant, or Joan Campbell, Collections Librarian.
Ordering Materials for Reserve
- Fill out the Order Request Form including the ISBN if possible.
- If the Library already owns copies of the title, please mark "added copy/ies" on the Order Request Form.
- Please note that the Library generally does not purchase textbooks for reserve or for the library collection. Faculty may place a personal copy of a textbook on reserve.
- More information about course reserve materials.
Questions about Reserves? Contact Amy Heggie, Circulation & User Services Manager.