0.25 linear feet.
Catalog Number: M236
Agency History / Biographical Note:
Shortly after the death of her father, banker George T. Bliss, in 1901, Susan Dwight Bliss and her mother had a library constructed in the Bliss residence in New York City which housed the family book collection, assembled largely by her father. The library, designed by C. Grant LaFarge, had black walnut woodwork and an antique ceiling and mantelpiece, examples of sixteenth-century Italian Renaissance art. In 1945 Bliss anonymously donated the ceiling, fireplace, and woodwork to Bowdoin College. The College, working with the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White, had the gift installed on the second floor of Hubbard Hall. In the 1950s Bliss anonymously donated furniture and books from her private library to Bowdoin. The books relate primarily to the fine arts, French and English history and literature, and travel, and are noted for their fine bindings. After her death in 1966, the College named the second floor Hubbard Hall room the Susan Dwight Bliss Room, in honor of the donor of the room and the approximately 1200 fine volumes it houses.
Scope and Content:
Articles, Bowdoin College librarians' reports, and other printed material concerning Susan Dwight Bliss's gifts to Bowdoin College, as well as material concerning the extended Bliss family. Also includes images of the interior and exterior of the Bliss residence at 9 East 68th Street in New York City .
For additional material in the Bowdoin College Archives regarding Susan Dwight Bliss' donation see Library Office Files, catalog #5.1.4, boxes 10 and 11, and James Stacy Coles, Subject Files, catalog #184.108.40.206, box 3.
For further information about the Bliss book collection in Bowdoin College Library, visit the online exhibit: Blissful Books and Bindings.
Cite as: Susan Dwight Bliss Collection, George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College Library, Brunswick, Maine
Access Restrictions: None.