Bowdoin Women Honorands Prior to 1970
Prior to the first admission of women to the student body in the early 1970s, twenty-three women received honorary degrees from Bowdoin College. Many, including Sarah Orne Jewett, had connections to the College through male relatives. Others, such as Margaret Chase Smith, were prominent Mainers. Still others played a major role on the campus. All were honored for their contributions to Bowdoin, to academia, and to society.
Marguerite Yourcenar, Litt.D.
- Author of Memoires d'Hadrien and Nouvelles Orientales
Katharine Elizabeth O'Brien, L.H.D.
- Mathematics teacher - Deering High School, Portland
Dorothy Dennis Marsh, A.M.
- Public service in numerous capacities, Washington, DC
Mary Louise Curtis Zimbalist, L.H.D.
- Philanthropist and founder - Curtis Music Institute
Agnes Mosher Shumway, A.M.
- Public and charitable services, Los Angeles
Abbie Houston Evans, LL.D.
- Poet, author of Outcrop and The Bright North
Doris Pike White, L.H.D.
- President of the Daughters of the American Revolution, 1958-61
Phyllis Carolyn Weston, M.S.
- Mathematics teacher - Skowhegan High School
Helen Whitney Gibson, L.H.D.
- American Red Cross worker in World War II
Edith Lansing K. Sills, LL.D.
- Wife of President Sills
- Margaret Chase Smith, LL.D.
- U.S. Senator from Maine
Dorothy Hayes-Stickney Lindsay, A.M.
Marie Peary Stafford Kuhne, A.M.
- Explorer and author of Snowland Folk
Hilda Libby Ives, D.D.
- Clergy and teacher - Andover Newton Theological School
Evelina Pierce, A.M.
- Headmistress - Master's School, Dobbs Ferry, NY
Anna Elizabeth Smith, A.M.
- Curator of Bowdoin's art collection, 1914-35
Mary Ellen Chase, Litt.D.
- Author of A Goodly Heritage
- Katharine Curtis Pierce, A.M.
- President of the Society of Bowdoin Women
Margaret Deland, Litt.D.
- Author of Old Chester Tales and Dr. Lavendar's People
Rose Hawthorne Lathrop, A.M.
- Dominican nun, founder of the Home for Incurable Cancer
- Alice Mary Longfellow, A.M.
- Daughter of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Heloise Edwina Hersey, A.M.
- Principal - Miss Hersey's School for Girls
Annie Crosby Emery Allinson, Litt.D.
- Dean - Pembroke Academy
- Ida Josephine Everett, A.M.
- Dean - Wheaton College
Lydia Moulton Chadwick, A.M.
- Teacher - Thornton Academy
Kate Douglas Wiggin, Litt.D.
- Author of Penelope's Progress and other children's stories
Sarah Orne Jewett, Litt.D.
- Author of The Country of the Pointed Firs and A Country Doctor