Skip to main content

Samuel Melcher account books (M128)

|  
Title:
Samuel Melcher account books
Creator:
Melcher, Samuel, 1775-1862
ID:
M128
Date:
1803-1880, undated
Extent:
1.5 linear feet
Language:
English
Repository:
George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College Library, Brunswick, Maine 04011
Abstract:
This collection contains ledgers and account books of Samuel Melcher (1801-1856), a notable housewright in Brunswick, Maine; R.T.D. Melcher's account book (1872-1880); and a journal by either R.T.D. Melcher or Charles C. Melcher (January 1, 1879 - January 15, 1880); also includes a daybook concerning the construction of the Bowdoin College Chapel.
Access Restrictions:

No restrictions.

Preferred Citation:

Samuel Melcher Account Books, George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College Library, Brunswick, Maine.

Samuel Melcher was born in New Meadows (near Brunswick), Maine, on May 8, 1775. Melcher married Lois Dunning (1778-1867), and they had several children.

Melcher and his brother, Aaron (b. 1773), were housewrights in Brunswick and Topsham. While he was not formally trained in architecture, Melcher observed new architectural ideas in Boston and Salem, which he brought back to Maine to incorporate into his own building designs. The Melcher brothers were hired by the Bowdoin building committee to design and build the college's first structure, Massachusetts Hall (1799-1802). This was followed by the original President's house (1803), which burned down a few years later; Maine Hall (1808; rebuilt 1837); Winthrop Hall (1823); Little-Mitchell House (1827); and Appleton Hall (1843). Melcher and his sons were later responsible for executing the interior woodwork in the Bowdoin College Chapel (1844-1855). In addition to his work on the college buildings, Melcher was also privately employed by Dunlap as housewright and shipbuilder. In 1872, Melcher's son, Richard T. D. Melcher, was hired by Peleg W. Chandler (Bowdoin 1834), the son-in-law of Professor Parker Cleaveland, to remodel the upper floors of Massachusetts Hall into a natural history museum known as the Cleaveland Cabinet for the display of the late professor's extensive collection of minerals and natural science specimens. Architectural drawings detailing the remodeling are located in the College Buildings collection. Samuel Melcher died on March 3, 1862.

This collection contains ledgers and account books of Samuel Melcher (1801-1856); R.T.D. Melcher's account book (1872-1880); and a journal by either R.T.D. Melcher or Charles C. Melcher (January 1, 1879 - January 15, 1880). There are also miscellaneous receipts, bills, accounts, and records of workmen's hours (1803-1856); and a daybook concerning the construction of the Bowdoin College Chapel.

Organized in a single series; arranged chronologically.

Samuel Melcher III Ledger, 1803- (Vol. I)

Volume-folio 1

Items removed from Ledger of 1803 (Container list within)

Volume-folio 2

Daybook no. 1, May 30, 1803 - December 31, 1805

Volume-folio 3

Items removed from Daybook, May 30, 1803 - December 31, 1805

Volume 4

Daybook no. 2 (Vol. III), September 18, 1811 - November 21, 1818

Volume-folio 5

Ledger and Journal, 1820-1821

Volume-folio 6

Journal, 1822

Volume-folio 7

Ledger, April 1 - October 24, 1822

Volume-folio 8

Journal, 1823-1825

Volume-folio 9

Account Book, 1823

Volume-folio 10

Samuel Melcher III Account Book, 1824-1828 [on permanent loan from the Maine Historical Society; see letter Oct. 30, 1962]1824-1828

Volume-folio 26

Journal, 1825-1827

Volume-folio 11

Journal, 1831-1833

Volume-folio 12

Journal, December 2, 1833-May 9, 1836

Volume-folio 13

Journal, 1835-1856

Volume-folio 25

Items removed from Journal of 1836-1839(Container list within)

Volume-folio 14

Journal, 1836-1839

Volume-folio 15

Items removed from from Journal of 1836-1839 (container list within)

Volume-folio 16

R.T.D. Melcher Account with R.T. Dunlop in Post Office, 1842-1843

Volume 17

Samuel Melcher III Account Book, 1843

Volume 18

Journal of Appleton Hall, 1843

Volume 19

Material pulled from Journal of Appleton Hall, 1843 (container list within)

Volume 20

Journal, 1847-18561847-1856

Volume-folio 27

Account Book, 1848-1856

Volume 21

Construction of the Chapel, 1851-1856

Volume 22

R.T.D. Melcher Journal, 1872-1880

Volume-folio 23

Journal, 1879 (Possibly written by Charles C. Melcher)

Volume 24
Top