Table of Contents
Harrie H. Newcomb Papers M257
- George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College Library, Brunswick, Maine 04011
- Newcomb, Harrie H
- Harrie H. Newcomb papers
- Date [bulk]
- Bulk, 1903-1905
- Date [inclusive]
- 1897-1958, undated
- 0.25 linear feet
- Materials relating to Harrie H. Newcomb's participation in the Ziegler Polar Expedition, 1903-1905.
- Materials relating to Harrie H. Newcomb's participation in the Ziegler Polar Expedition, 1903-1905. Included is a manuscript autobiography by Newcomb and expedition correspondence, documents and reports.
Preferred Citation note
Cite as: Harrie H. Newcomb Papers, George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College Library, Brunswick, Maine.
Harrie H. Newcomb, veterinarian, spent his early years in Greenfield, Massachusetts, then graduated from McGill University in 1897 with a degree in Veterinary Science. In 1903 he was employed by William Ziegler as veterinarian for the Ziegler Polar expedition, commanded by Anthony Fiala. Newcomb's primary responsibility was to care for the expedition ponies, securing food and veterinary supplies as well as providing medical treatment. Following the expedition he continued to travel, taking horses to Italy during World War I. Prior to retirement, Newcomb was medical director and sales manager of a pharmaceutical manufacturer.
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains papers relating to Harrie H. Newcomb's participation in the Ziegler Polar Expedition, 1903-1905. Included is a manuscript autobiography by Newcomb and expedition correspondence, documents and reports. The bulk of the expedition paperwork is by Newcomb and Anthony Fiala, Commanding Officer, regarding the ponies, medicine and supplies, although there are reports from other medical officers. Memorabilia includes issues of the camp newsletter, and dinner menus. Some of the menus have original artwork by artist Russell W. Porter and are signed by members of the crew. There are also off-prints of publications relating to arctic exploration.
George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College Library, Brunswick, Maine 040113000 College Station
Brunswick, Maine, 04011
Custodial History note
Transferred from Peary-Macmillan Arctic Museum (PNAM 2004.6.1-33); original donor Robert Nuhn.
Controlled Access Headings
- Arctic Regions -- Discovery and exploration -- American.
- Franz Josef Land (Russia) -- Discovery and exploration.
- Fiala, Anthony -- 1869-1950.
- Newcomb, Harrie H. -- Archives.
- Porter, Russell Williams, -- 1871-1949.
- Health and Medicine
- Nature and Geography
- Scientific expeditions -- Arctic regions.
- Veterinarians -- United States -- Archives.
Biographical material - manuscript autobiography, n.d.
Biographical material - miscellaneous, 1897, 1958, n.d.
Expedition correspondence, 1904 Apr, Oct
Expedition documents including rules, and general orders, 1903 Jan - 1904 Feb
Expedition reports, 1903 Jul - 1904 Jun, n.d.
Memorabilia, including camp newsletter and dinner menus, 1903-1905, 1951, n.d.
Publications, including maps of Franz Josef Land, 1930, 1942, 1952, n.d.