64 linear feet
Catalog Number: 5.1
- Historical records, 1802- , n.d.
12 linear feet.
- Reports of the Librarian, 1886-1990 .25 linear feet.
- Publications of the Library, 1891- 3.5 linear feet.
- Library office files, memoranda and correspondence, 1961-
24.55 linear feet.
- Library office files, gift records, 1935- 4.5 linear feet.
- Library office files, financial records, 1883-1983
2.25 linear feet.
- Library office files, departmental records, 1963- 1 linear foot.
- Library office files, automation records, 1986-1990 .5 linear feet.
- Library bookplates, 1802-
2.25 linear feet.
- Library exhibits, 1965-
4.6 linear feet
- Special Collections & Archives Records, 1963-
8.6 linear feet
Agency History /
The College's library collections were founded in 1797 with the first gift of books, and were greatly enhanced in the 19th century by the 1811 bequest of the private library of James Bowdoin III and by the incorporation of the Athenaean and Peucinian Society libraries. The collections of books, journals, government documents, manuscripts and archival items have continued to grow through gift and purchase. King's Chapel and Hubbard Hall were both built to house the collections, which are now contained in the Hawthorne-Longfellow and Hatch Science libraries as well as in several departmental libraries. On-line cataloging through OCLC began in 1973, and the OPAC was installed in 1990; further automation of procedures and services continued through the 1990s.
Scope and Content:
Contains collection catalogs, circulation records, correspondence and memoranda, annual reports, and account books relating to the operation of the Library and the expansion of its collections and facilities. Also includes exhibit catalogs, exhibit cards and library bookplates. The bulk of the material is from 1890 on; most is contained within the historical files, which begin with the first librarian, and in the library staff's correspondence files.
Cite as: Library records. George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives. Bowdoin College Library.
Access Restrictions: Some material restricted. Consult series descriptions for specific information.