3.25 linear feet.
Catalog Number: 4.36
Agency History / Biographical Note:
On November 22, 1805, eight students met and formed the Philomathian Society. A few months later the name was changed to the Peucinian Society and took its motto: Pinos loquentes semper habemus (We always have the whispering pines). The Society formed a large library with books purchased from dues paid by inducted members. The Peucinian Society had an intense rivalry with the Athenaean Society. The rise of the Greek letter fraternities at the end of the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth century spelled the end for the literary societies. After a period of relative dormancy, the surviving libraries of the Peucinian and Athenaean societies were merged in 1880. Following this, the Peucinian Society was considered officially defunct. The Peucinian Society had an annex scientific society, the Caluvian Society. In 2007, members of the class of 2010 re-established the Peucinian Society to debate and discuss political and philosophical issues.
Scope and Content:
Records of both the original Peucinian Society of Bowdoin College which dissolved in the 1880s and the Peucinian Society reconstituted in 2007. Files contain minutes of meetings, financial records, correspondence, lectures, addresses, articles, and the Society's constitution.
Cite as: Peucinian Society: Records, George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College Library, Brunswick, Maine
Access Restrictions: No restrictions.