2.0 linear feet.
Catalog Number: 3.41
Agency History / Biographical Note:
Mary Marvin Breckinridge Patterson (1905-2002), granddaughter of B.F. and Mary Marvin Goodrich, daughter of John C. and Isabella Breckinridge, and wife of diplomat Jefferson Patterson, donated the Breckinridge estate in York, Maine, to Bowdoin College in 1973. On July 27, 1974, the 23 acre, 25 room estate, also known as River House, was dedicated as Bowdoin College's Breckinridge Public Affairs Center. For thirty years the College used the facility for classes, seminars, and meetings of educational, cultural, and civic groups. In October 2003 the College, following careful analysis, decided that continued ownership was impractical, and Breckinridge was sold in 2004.
Scope and Content:
Agreements, inventories, reports, correspondence, and other material concerning the administration of Breckinridge. Also included are images of River House, historical information about the house, biographical information about Mary Marvin Breckinridge Patterson, and printed ephemera.
See Barry Mills: Subject Files for information about the College's sale of Breckinridge. Additional administrative records regarding Breckinridge can be found in Roger Howell: Subject Files, A. LeRoy Greason: Subject Files, Robert H. Edwards: Subject Files, and Dean for Academic Affairs: Special Programs and Subject Files.
Cite as: Breckinridge Public Affairs Center (River House) : Records, George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College Library, Brunswick, Maine
Access Restrictions: The first series, Administrative Records, is restricted until 2024.