Special Considerations for General Web Sites:
- Do many other sites link to this page? (Google Search: link:library.bowdoin.edu)
- Who owns the site? (You can use Whois Domain Lookup to look up who owns the domain.)
- Is currency important? If so, is there an indication of when the page was written? is the bibliography up to date?
- Permanence: is the information likely to STAY up for a reasonable amount of time?
- Conduct searches that exclude ".com" sites and concentrate on .edu, .org, and .net sites, e.g., vernal pools -site:.com
- Who is the author of the page?
Can you identify their qualifications for providing this information?
Is there contact information for the author?
- Are sources provided for the information included?
Is the information itself verifiable from another source?
- Are there signs of bias and/or subjectivity?
What is the purpose, to inform or pursuade?
Are alternative or opposing views or arguments represented?
- Is the material original?
Is it a brief summary or an in-depth report?
Is there an indication that the material is complete? Does it cover just a certain time period?
- Other Considerations
- Purpose: is the information there to serve as a vehicle for advertisements? Is it a platform for opinion? Is it educational?
Origin: is the source an educational institution, the government, or a non-profit organization?
Does the infomation provided answer my question or back up my thesis? Does it raise other relevant questions?