American National Biography
ANB Offers portraits of more than 18,700 men and women - from all eras and walks of life - whose lives have shaped the nation.
American Pamphlets, Series I, 1820-1922
More than 25,000 short works from every region of the United States span 100 years of American life, from the Jacksonian Era through the dawn of the Jazz Age.
Afro-American Imprints, 1535-1922
Explore African American history, culture and experience from the 16th through the 20th centuries.
Academic Charts Online
A single search of international charting albums and singles under exclusive academic license from Billboard, the Official Charts Company.
International Historical Statistics
Worldwide coverage of statistics, including population & vital statistics, labor, agriculture, industry, trade, transport & communications, agriculture, education, and national accounts.
Filmakers Library Online
Filmakers Library Online provides award-winning documentaries with relevance across the curriculum—race and gender studies, human rights, globalization and global studies, multiculturalism, international relations, criminal justice, the environment, bioethics, health, political science and current events, psychology, arts, literature, and more. It presents points of view and historical and current experiences from diverse cultures and traditions world-wide.
NAACP Papers: The NAACP's Major Campaigns ...
This module of History Vault documents, with primary sources, the NAACP's systematic assault on segregated education, the fight for voting rights, and confronting racial discrimination in the workplace, armed forces, and housing.
Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824-1900
The Wellesley Index identifies the authors of articles within major Victorian periodicals and provides a bibliography for each contributor. 45 important monthly and quarterly titles are included, covering the period from the beginning of the Westminster Review in 1824 to the end of the century. The exception to this is the Edinburgh Review, which is indexed from first issue, in 1802. Wellesley does not index poetry.
Entertainment Industry Magazine Archive
An archival research resource containing primary sources for studying the history of the film and entertainment industries, from the era of vaudeville and silent movies through to 2000. The core US and UK trade magazines covering film, music, broadcasting and theater are all included, together with film fan magazines and music press titles.
Provides access to various reference sources, including dictionaries, encyclopedias, other Japanese reference works (biographies, maps, chronologies, etc.), full text, and other visual and sound databases.
Unbiased coverage of health, social trends, criminal justice, international affairs, education, the environment, technology, and the economy. Reports are published 44 times a year by CQ Press and each single-themed, 12,000-word report is researched and written by a seasoned journalist.
Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature
Includes indexing of over 450 periodicals as far back as 1983. Subject coverage includes antiques, arts, business, computers, education, entertainment, film & television, gardening, health & medicine, history, home improvement, literature, news & current events, photography, popular & classical music, politics, popular culture, religion, science, sports & fitness, transportation, travel and much more.
Airiti Library is a Chinese language database combining journal articles, dissertations, conference proceedings and e-books. It has a broad subject area which includes humanities, science, social sciences, technology, medicine and life sciences.
Women and Social Movements, International
This digital archive currently includes 145,326 pages of a collection that will eventually offer 150,000 pages of conference proceedings, reports of international women's organizations, publications and web pages of women's non-governmental organizations, and letters, diaries, and memoirs of women active internationally since the mid-nineteenth century.
Instant online access to today's newspapers from around the world in full-color, full-page format. Viewers can browse articles and other key content, such as pictures, advertisements, classifieds, and notices. The service also provides up to a 60-day backfile and the ability to perform keyword searches across all titles and the entire backfile.
Rock's Back Pages
An archive of articles on rock music and culture from the major rock music magazines published in the USA and the UK since the early 1970s.
Nineteenth-Century Collections Online
Nineteenth Century Collections Online is a multi-year global digitization and publishing program focusing on primary source collections of the long nineteenth century, with archives releasing incrementally beginning in spring 2012.
- Asia and the West: Diplomacy and Cultural Exchange
Features primary source collections related to international relations between Asian countries and the West during the 19th century. Includes government reports, diplomatic correspondences, periodicals, newspapers, treaties, trade agreements, NGO papers, and more. Documents are sourced from The National Archives, Kew; The National Archives, United States; and other collections.
- European Literature, 1790-1840: The Corvey Collection
Includes the full-text of more than 9,500 English, French and German titles. The collection is sourced from the remarkable library of Victor Amadeus, whose Castle Corvey collection was one of the most spectacular discoveries of the late 1970s. The Corvey Collection comprises one of the most important archives of Romantic era writing in existence anywhere - including fiction, short prose, dramatic works, poetry and more - with a focus on especially difficult-to-find works by lesser-known, historically neglected writers.
- British Politics and Society
Features a wide range of primary sources related to the arts in the long nineteenth century, from playbills and scripts to operas and complete scores. These rare documents are sourced from the British Library and other institutions. Curation is by experts in British arts history. Covers more than a century and encompasses both the Georgian and Victorian theatre.
- British Theater, Music & Literature
Features a wide range of primary sources related to the arts in the Victorian era, from playbills and scripts to operas and complete scores. These rare documents, many of them never before available, were sourced from the British Library and other renowned institutions, and curated by experts in British arts history.
Recently added to our subscription to Gale NewsVault
- 17th and 18th Century Burney Collection Newspapers
The newspapers, pamphlets, and books gathered by the Reverend Charles Burney (1757-1817) represent the largest and most comprehensive collection of early English news media.
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers
Digital facsimile images of both full pages and clipped articles for hundreds of 19th century U.S. newspapers and advanced searching capabilities. For each issue, the newspaper is captured from cover-to-cover, providing access to every article, advertisement and illustration.
HRAF Archaeology is a cross-cultural database containing information on the world's prehistory. This annually-growing eHRAF database is organized by archaeological traditions. The full-text sources are subject-indexed at the paragraph level. eHRAF Archaeology is a unique resource designed to facilitate comparative archaeological studies.
HRAF World Cultures is a cross-cultural database that contains information on all aspects of cultural and social life. The annually-growing eHRAF database is unique in that the information is organized into cultures and ethnic groups and the full-text sources are subject-indexed at the paragraph level.
Dissertations and Theses A&I: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection
Search for dissertations written since 1861 by school, adviser, or subject. An index only, you can order copies of dissertations from our excellent Interlibrary Loan department.
Films on Demand
A cross-curricular streaming video service with more than 6,000 titles.
African American Periodicals
African American history, culture and daily life in the 19th-century and 20th-century.
Latin American Newspapers
More than 35 19th-century and 20-century Latin American newspapers. Featuring titles from Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Cuba, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru, Venezuela and elsewhere.
South Asian Newspapers
Searchable 19th-century and 20th-century newspapers from South Asia. Featuring titles from India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
Gale 19th-century British Newspapers
Contains full runs of 48 newspapers specially selected by the British Library to best represent nineteenth century Britain. Includes national and regional newspapers, as well as those from both established country or university towns and the new industrial powerhouses of the manufacturing Midlands, as well as Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Special attention was paid to include newspapers that helped lead particular political or social movements such as Reform, Chartism, and Home Rule.
Black Freedom Struggle (ProQuest History Vault)
Primary source material consisting of records of federal government agencies
New York Amsterdam News
Offers full page and article images with searchable full text. The collection includes digital reproductions providing access to every page from every available issue.
Oxford Biblical Studies
Oxford Biblical Studies Online provides a comprehensive resource for the study of the Bible and biblical history. It includes authoritative scholarly texts and reference works.
Entire US census data from 1790 - ; the American Community Survey (ACS) through the most current release; and the Religious Congregations and Membership Study (RCMS). The RCMS is the most complete census available on religion in the U.S. Social Explorer creates thematic and interactive maps down to the street level where and when possible, and reports at all geographic levels where data exist including the state, county, census tract, block group, zip code, census places and other.
Bridgeman Education is a dedicated service that supports the use of high-quality images in education, be it teaching, research or reference. The website allows you to search across all media including; photography, fine art, engravings, sculpture, architecture, archaeology & ethnography, history, science & medicine, the decorative arts, artifacts and applied arts.
Eyewitness accounts of historical events, vivid descriptions of daily life, editorial observations, commerce as seen through advertisements and genealogical records
Times Literary Supplement Archive
Contains every page of every copy of the TLS published from 1902 to 2005.
Encyclopedia of Behavioral Neuroscience
African Newspapers, 1800-1922
More than 40 nineteenth- and twentieth-century African newspapers. Featuring titles from Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, Uganda and Zimbabwe.
An online language-learning system.
Census data, vital records, directories, photos, and more of individuals from North America, Europe, Australia, and other countries.
New Yorker Digital Edition
The digital edition is a page-by-page facsimile of The New Yorker. The current issue is posted first thing Monday morning, before many subscribers and newsstands receive the printed magazine. It also allows you to access the complete archive, going back to 1925, and to read and print articles.
Los Angeles Times Archive
PDFs of the newspaper from 1881-1986. You can search for advertisements, editorial cartoons, comics, real estate transactions, and just about anything else in the newspaper.
Index to Legal Periodicals and Books
International coverage and access to scholarly articles, symposia, jurisdictional surveys, court decisions, legislation, books, book reviews, and more.
Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO) II
ECCO II provides even more books, pamphlets, and essays from the 18th Century, based on the English Short Title Catalog.
African American Newspapers, 1827-1998
More than 270 African American newspapers published in the 19th and 20th centuries. Includes the full text of Los Angeles Tribune, Savannah Tribune, Chicago Metro News, New Orleans Daily Creole, and Frederick Douglass' Paper.
- The bound and daily versions of Congressional Record (1873-present), its three predecessor titles: Annals of Congress (1789-1824), Register of Debates (1824-1837) and Congressional Globe (1833-1873); and other important congressional material.
- China Data Online
- From the University of Michigan's China Data Center, covers China's economic development at national, provincial, city, county, and industrial levels.
- Index of Christian Art
- The Index records works of art produced without geographical limitations from early apostolic times up to A.D. 1550. Seventeen different media are represented in the archive, and these include manuscripts, metalwork, sculpture, painting, glass, and so forth. The database has both text and images, although some works of art may not have an accompanying image.
- Roper Center
- The Roper Center archives datasets from thousands of surveys with national adult, state, foreign, and special subpopulation samples. These datasets are listed in the Catalog of Holdings. Online access to many datasets are provided through the Roper Express service. US nationwide public opinion polls since 1935 are available through the iPoll service. A full-text retrieval system, the iPOLL online database is organized at the question-level.
- Aluka is an international, collaborative initiative building an online digital library of scholarly resources from and about Africa. It includes a wide variety of scholarly materials contributed by Aluka's partners, ranging from archival documents, periodicals, books, reports, manuscripts, and reference works, to three-dimensional models, maps, oral histories, plant specimens, photographs, and slides.
- Index Islamicus
- Indexes literature on Islam, the Middle East and the Muslim world. Records included in the database cover almost 100 years of publications on the world of Islam.
- Rambi (Index of Articles on Jewish Studies)
- Rambi is a selective bibliography of articles in the various fields of Jewish studies and in the study of Eretz Israel and the State of Israel. The Index is based to a large extent on the collections of the Jewish National and University Library, Jerusalem. Material indexed in Rambi is compiled from thousands of periodicals, in print and electronic format, and from collections of articles.
- Oxford Islamic Studies Center
- Encompasses A-Z reference entries, chapters from scholarly and introductory works, Qur’anic materials, primary sources, images, and timelines.
- Early American Imprints II
- Covering every aspect of American life during the early decades of the United States, Early American Imprints, Series II (1801-1819) provides full-text access to the 36,000 American books, pamphlets and broadsides published in the first nineteen years of the nineteenth century. The continuation of Early American Imprints: Series I, it is based on the authoritative bibliography by Ralph R. Shaw and Richard H. Shoemaker and supplemented by thousands of new items.
- Hispanic American Newspapers, 1808-1980
- A compilation of Spanish-language newspapers printed in the U.S. during the 19th and 20th centuries. Based on the "Recovering the U.S. Hispanic Literary Heritage Project," a national research effort directed by Professor Nicolás Kanellos.
- Oxford African American Studies Center
- Includes: Africana: The Encyclopedia of the African and African American Experience, Second Edition; Encyclopedia of African American History, 1619-1895: From the Colonial Period to the Age of Frederick Douglass (and forthcoming companion volume, 1896-present; Black Women in America, Second Edition; African American National Biography; other Oxford reference sources, image s, maps, charts, and tables.
- CQ Almanac
- Coverage of the people, elections, legislation, and controversies in the U.S. Congress from 1945- . Original narrative accounts of every major piece of legislation that lawmakers considered during a congressional session. Includes all of the content from the print version of the Almanac. Updated annually. For more recent coverage, see CQ Weekly.
- Art Index Retrospective
- Indexing of hundreds of publications. Includes citations to peer-reviewed articles, interviews and books reviews. Covers fine, decorative, and commercial art. International in scope. Coverage is 1929-1984.
- Gallup Brain
- Searchable database of the thousands of Gallup Polls conducted from 1935 to today. Users can search questions, results, specific surveys, and associated articles. Also houses Gallup Poll and Gallup Management Journal articles that feature in-depth public opinion and management data analyses.
- British Periodicals
- British Periodicals provides access to the searchable full text of hundreds of periodicals from the late seventeenth century to the early twentieth century.
- Oxford Scholarship Online
- The complete text of over 1,800 Oxford books in core areas of Biology, Business and Management, Classical Studies, History, Mathematics, Linguistics, Literature, Physics and Psychology - in addition to Economics and Finance, Philosophy, Political Science and Religion.
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online
- Notes English-language titles and editions published between 1701 and 1800. A variety of materials is included?from books and broadsides, Bibles, tract books and sermons to printed ephemera. Spans many disciplines. Based on The English Short Title Catalogue (ESTC), as well as those from more than 1,500 university, private, and public libraries worldwide.
- FBIS Full Text - Africa, Middle East, & S. Asia, 1974 - 1996
- Full text of Daily Reports from the CIA?s Foreign Broadcast Information Service, from 1974-1996. Individual reports include speeches, broadcasts, news articles from countries in Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia. Texts are translated into English by the CIA.
- Handbook of Child Psychology
- Vol. 1: Theoretical Models of Human Development. Vol. 2: Cognition, Perception, and Language. Vol. 3: Social, Emotional, and Personality Development. Vol. 4: Child Psychology in Practice. This sixth edition contains new chapters on such topics as spirituality, social understanding, and non-verbal communication. You can browse or search the contents of this e-book.
- The PrimateLit database provides bibliographic access to the scientific literature on nonhuman primates for the research and educational communities. Coverage of the database spans 1940 to present and includes all publication categories (articles, books, abstracts, technical reports, dissertations, book chapters, etc.)
- Forest Science
- Forest Science Database indexes and abstracts international and domestic forest, wood science, and agroforestry research articles, books, and conferences, with content from 1939 to present. It is an ideal source for foresters, scientists, environmental consultants, policy makers and others actively involved in research or decision-making in agroforestry, forestry, wood science, and the forest and timber industries.
- Mergent Online
- Domestic and international company information. Includes company financials, equity prices, SEC filings, subsidiaries, and more.
- AgEcon Search: Research in Agricultural and Applied Economics
- Collects, indexes, and electronically distributes full text copies of scholarly research in the broadly defined field of agricultural economics.
- Women and Social Movements in the United States
- Revolves around projects that interpret and present documents on the history of women in social movements in the U.S. between 1600 and 2000. Each document project poses an interpretive question and provides a collection of documents that address the question. Projects provide the full text of documents, images, and links to websites. Includes a dictionary of social movements and organizations, a chronology of U.S. Women's History, teaching tools with lesson ideas, and quarterly news from the archives about U.S. Women's History.
- Chicago Manual of Style
- Browse or search the "bible of the publishing and research community."
- Play Index
- Find citations to plays written from Antiquity to the present and published from 1949 to the present.
- Periodical Archives Online
- Backfiles of periodicals in the humanities and social sciences available electronically, access to the full text of periodicals that have been indexed in its sister database, Periodicals Index Online.
- Boston Globe Archive (1872-1923)
- Full-text and full-image articles. Complete cover-to-cover with full-page and article images in downloadable PDF.