9 linear feet.
Arranged by subject.
Catalog Number: M22.214.171.124
Materials include notes, memos, correspondence, and reports that range from general information on Maine's agricultural products (potatoes, blueberries, and wood products) to specific information on pesticides, food safety, feeding and child nutrition programs, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, commodity programs, and international trade agreements like the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT). These trade agreements were among the most controversial aspects of agricultural commerce during Mitchell's service as senator. Information on these trade agreements can also be found in the Trade series.
Also included are files on federal subsidy programs for sugar producers, bee keepers, and others. Agriculture legislation is usually considered by the senate Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee. These files were maintained by Steve Hart with contributions by Deborah Cotter. Some files were created by William Anderson. Some agriculture files can be found in the Environment series.
Access Restrictions: None.
Boxes 177-182, 246: Steve Hart
Boxes 183-184: Deborah Cotter
The items below found in this series were removed from the collection.
· Issues in Risk Assessment, (National Acedemy Press: Washington D.C.), 1993.
· Bicdlack, Mary Kay and Lynn Ainsworth eds., American Cooperation 1991, (NationalCouncil of Farmers Cooperatives), 1991.
· Spitze, Robert G.F., ed., Agricultural and Food Policy: Issues and Alternatives for the 1990s, (The Department of Agricultural Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Urbana, Illinois), 1990.
· Ward, Justine R., F. Kaid Benfield, Anne E. Kinsinger, Reaping the Revenue Code: Why We Need Sensible Tax Reform for Sustainable Agriculture, (Natural Resources Defense Council: New York), 1989.
· Community Childhood Hunger Identification Project: A Survey of Childhood Hunger in the United States, (Food Research and Action Center: Washington D.C.), 1991.
· Alternative Agriculture, (National Academy Press: Washington D.C.), 1989.
· Alternative Agriculture: Scientists' Review, (Council for Agricultural Science and Technology: Ames, Iowa), 1990.
· Rasmussen, Wayne D., Farmers, Cooperatives, and USDA: A History of Agricultural Cooperative Service, (Agricultural Information Bullentin 621), 1991.
· Investing in Research: A Proposal to Strengthen the Agricultural, Food, and Environmental System, (National Academy Press: Washington D.C.), 1989.
· Faeth, Paul, Robert Repetto, et. al. Paying the Farm Bill: U.S. Agricultural Policy and the Transition to Sustainable Agriculture, (World Rersources Institute), 1991.
· The Economic Impact of the Tobacco Industry on the United States Economy, (Price Waterhouse), 1990.
· Ray, Daryll E. and James S. Plaxico, The Economic Structure of Agriculture: Rhetoric versus Reality, (National Farmers Organization and National Farmers Union), 1988.