18.0 linear feet.
Catalog Number: M286
- George McGovern Presidential Campaign Papers, 1970-1977, n.d., 6.82 linear ft.
- Northern Maine Independent System Administrator/NM Work Group Records, 1998-2000, 1.5 linear ft.
- Long Falls Dam/Central Maine Power Lease Case Files, 1986-1994 [bulk 1993], 1 linear ft.
- Madison Electric Works Rate Case Files, 1993-1995, 4 linear ft.
- New England Power Pool Records, 1990-1997, 4 linear ft.
- Bowdoin College Materials, 1954-1974, n.d., 0.25 linear ft.
Agency History / Biographical Note:
Gordon Lee Weil was born in Mineola, New York, on March 12, 1937. He was graduated magna cum laude from Bowdoin in 1958 and received his Ph.D. from Columbia in 1961. Weil has served in both the government and private sectors at international, national, state, and local levels. He was executive assistant to Senator George McGovern, Maine commissioner of business regulation, Maine state energy director, chair of New England Regional Transmission Organization negotiations, president of Standard Energy Corporation, and advised the U.S. Department of Energy on emergency planning. Weil has been a licensed power broker and energy consultant representing customers in Maine, across the United States, and Canada. He is the author of numerous books including The Long Shot: George McGovern Runs for President (1973) and Blackout: How the Electric Industry Exploits America(2006).
Scope and Content:
Professional papers of Gordon Lee Weil (Bowdoin 1958), documenting his roles in Senator McGovern's presidential campaign (1970-1972) and as a consultant (Weil & Howe, Inc.) in Maine energy/utility matters (1986-2000). Also included are items relating to courses Weil taught in 1973-1974 as a visiting professor in Bowdoin's government and legal studies department. Materials include correspondence, clippings, press releases, position papers, travel schedules, interview transcriptions, and speeches.
Cite as: Cite as: Gordon Lee Weil Papers, George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College Library, Brunswick, Maine.
Access Restrictions: None.