Background Materials, 1995-1998.
2 linear feet.
Arranged by material type.
Catalog Number: M202.7.1
Materials were collected for study or donated between December 1995 and 1998. Included are European-format (PAL) and VHS videos of documentaries and news broadcasts; one audiocassette; books tracking political unrest and human rights violations in Northern Ireland and abroad; autographed books given to Mitchell as thanks for his efforts in the peace process; information pamphlets; a poster issued by the United Campaign Against Plastic Bullets; a thank you letter to Mitchell from various Northern Ireland Ministers; a Queens University graduation program in which Mitchell is listed as speaker and honorary graduate; and other reference materials. These resources were gathered to provide Senator Mitchell and his staff with a working understanding of the issues facing all factions in Northern Ireland.
Access Restrictions: Restricted 10 years from date of creation.
- Box 861 ·
· ["The British Military Garrison in Ireland" pamphlet Sinn Fein Peace Action Monitor September 1st 1994]
· [FBI Laboratory Explosives Unit]
· ["Greater Ballymurphy 25 Years of Struggle" booklet]
· [Report of the Public Inquiry into the Killing of Fergal Caraher and the wounding of Miceal Caraher 30th December 1990]
· [Inserts found in book "The Way of Peace" by Cecil Kerr]
· ["The Way of Peace" by Cecil Kerr]
· ["Arming the Protestants" by Michael Farrell]
· ["Human Rights in Northern Ireland" A Helsinki Watch Report]
· ["Human Rights and Legal Defense in Northern Ireland" by the lawyers Committee for Human Rights]
- Box 862 ·
· V18- Panorama Subject: Northern Ireland (Master VHS, Copy VHS)
· V19- The Darkest Days, Edward Daly Remembers (Master PAL, Copy VHS)
· V20- Law of the Ghetto(Master VHS, Copy VHS)
· V21- First Tuesday Hidden Hand: The Forgotten Massacre (Master PAL, Copy VHS)
· V22- The Law and the Order (Master PAL, Copy VHS)
· V27- RTE Prime Time Special: Dublin Monaghan Bombings "Friendly Forces" (Master PAL, Copy VHS)
· V28- Panorama; Inside Story: Bloody Sunday; The Law and the Order; First Tuesday (Master PAL, Copy VHS)
- Box 909 ·
· graduation program: Queen's University of Belfast, 7/3/97
· 1 audiocassette: "Summerfest 1996" with Senator George Mitchell, 6/29/96
· 1 thank-you card to Mitchell from various Northern Ireland Ministers
· bound copy of All-Party Negotiations Background Documents, 10/87
· Between Hope and History (Random House Inc: NY), 1996.
· Church and State (Renewal Publications: Dunmurry, Ireland), 1995.
· A Review and Analysis of Constructive Approaches to Group Accomodation and Minority Protection in Divided or Multicultural Societies (Brunswick Press: Dublin Castle), 1996.
· Peace in Ireland (Mowbray: London), 1995.
· Up off their Knees (Conn McCluskey and Associates: Ireland), 1989.
· The Black Book of Bosnia (HarperCollins Publishers, Inc: USA), 1996.
· The Flight Path (The Gallery Press: Ireland), 1996.
· Ulster for Beginners (The Friends of the Union), 1998.
· Square Circles (The Cadogan Group: Belfast), 1996.
· Lessons of Ulster (The Friends of the Union: London), 1997.
· Opus Finlandia (WSOY: Porvoo), 1996.
· The Lost Gospel of the Earth (Sierra Club Books: San Francisco), 1996.
· Sweet Killough Let Go Your Anchor (The Blackstaff Press: Belfast), 1994.
· Reinforcing Powerlessness (IslandPublications: Ireland), 1996.
· Black Puddings with Slim (The Blackstaff Press: Belfast), 1996. (2 copies)
· The Choice (Simon and Schuster: NY), 1996.
· Israel's Covert Diplomacy in Lebanon (MacMillan Press Ltd: London), 1998. (with autographed letter)