U.S. Attorney and Federal Judgeship : Subject Files, 1977-1980.
1.5 linear feet.
Catalog Number: M202.5.2
Material includes questionnaires for Mitchell's judicial nomination; notes and correspondence regarding participation in mock trials at law schools in New England; financial and personal records; and material on law seminars for new federal district judges. Also includes personal correspondence and recommendations, and press clippings documenting Mitchell's work as U.S. Attorney for Maine. The questionnaires served as a basis for the Senate's confirming his nomination for United States district judge. Financial and personal records also pertain to his nomination. Correspondents include Senators Strom Thurmond, Edward Kennedy, Edmund Muskie, and Chief Justice Warren Burger.
Access Restrictions: None.
- Box 26
· Acceptance speech by GJM into USDC 11/2/79
· Ceremonies for Law Day, Naturalization and admitting attorneys- May 2, 1980
· Criminal Law of Seminar (UM-PG-September 24, 1977)
· Federal positions
· Financial disclosure reports
· First District Conference- May 13-15, 1980 (New Hampshire)
· 1980 Harvard Law School instruction for lawyers July 14-26, 1980
· 1980 Philip C. Jessup- International Law Moot Court competition- February 29-March 1, 1980 School of Law, Portland
· Judgeship- Oath of Office form, etc.
· Judicial nomination- correspondence
· Judicial nomination- documents 
· Judicial nomination- financial disclosure statemnet
· Judicial nomination- Justice Dept. questionnaire
· Judicial nomination- notes
· Judicial nomination- personal Data questionnaire
· Judicial nomination- SenateJudiciary majority questionnaire
· Judicial nomination- Senate Judiciary minority questionnaire
· Judicial nomination- women's questionnaire
· Judicial questionnaires, etc.
· Judicial Survivors' Annuities System
· Litigation Management Seminar Washington, D.C. 3119-25, 1978
· Miscellaneous 
· Miscellaneous correspondence
· GM Bangor Nov. 5, 1979
· GJM-Biographical Sketch
· GJM- Congratulations on USA Appointment
· GM Earning Statements
· Judge Mitchell's Earnings Statements
· George Mitchell- 1977 personal
· GJM U.S. Attorney
· GJM US District Judge- Support letters and Congrat. letters 
- Box 27
· Maine Bar Bulletin
· Mock trial- University of Maine May 3, 1980- School of Law
· Moot Court- University of Maine at Orono May 8, 1980
· Moving Expenses
· Personal Stationery [sic]
· Resignation- US District Judge May 16, 1980
· Seminar for newly- elected Judges January 13-19, 1980 Washington, D.C.
· Robes- manufacturers
· Yale Law School
These items below found in this series were removed from the collection.
· National Journal, Jan. 1, 1983 - Dec. 29, 1984