.5 linear feet.
Catalog Number: 1.2.7
Agency History /
After a two year search, William De Witt Hyde (1858-1917) succeeded Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain as Bowdoin's seventh President in 1885. Hyde transformed Bowdoin both academically and physically. The "Offer of the College," which Hyde wrote in 1906, expressed his philosophy. He strengthened the faculty, made noteworthy changes in the curriculum, including introducing the elective system, eased entrance requirements, and increased social and athletic opportunities for students. Hyde enlarged the campus with the addition of many new facilities. The Walker Art Building, Searles Science Building, Sargent Gymnasium, and Hubbard Hall were all constructed during his tenure. In 1892 Hyde issued the first "Report of the President of Bowdoin College," a summary of events, policies, appointments and finances of the previous academic year. He was president until his death in 1917.
Scope and Content:
The administrative records of William De Witt Hyde include subject files and his annual "Report of the President of Bowdoin College," from the initial report of 1891-1892 through 1916-1917. The bulk of the subject files contain general correspondence about College affairs and the 1894 centennial celebration. The President's Reports from 1891-1892 through 1903-1904 were published separately and are included in the box with the subject files. President Hyde's reports from 1904-1905 until the end of his presidency were published in the Bowdoin College Bulletin and are filed with the Bowdoin College Bulletins. For related materials, see the William De Witt Hyde Collection.
Cite as: William De Witt Hyde, Administrative Records. George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives. Bowdoin College Library.
Access Restrictions: None.