Location: Bowdoin / Library / Special Collections & Archives / archives / 4.3 Collection Guide

Track and Field: Records and Publications, 1878-1992. n.d.

4.5 linear feet.

Catalog Number: 4.3

Series List:


Agency History /
Biographical Note:

The long tradition of track and field at Bowdoin began in 1874 with the first meet held at the Delta, a triangular field located where Sills Hall now stands. Bowdoin students competed with one another in events such as sack, wheelbarrow, knapsack, and three-legged races. The tournaments became an annual event and become more structured every year. The sport became more organized when the Maine Intercollegiate field and track competitions began in 1895. Prior to 1895 there had been only New England competitions and intrascholastic meets. The team was coached by Jack Magee (1913-1955) and Frank Sabasteanski (1955-1983) for a large part of it's existence.

Scope and Content:
Collection includes score books, trial books, programs, scrapbooks, and photos. The bulk of material spans the early to mid 1900s. Records created during track and cross country competitions. Scrapbooks contain published articles regarding performance at events. Team photos and competition photos included.

Cite as: Track and Field: records and publications. George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives. Bowdoin College Library.

Access Restrictions: None.

George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives · Staff · Hours
Bowdoin College Library, 3000 College Station, Brunswick, Maine 04011-8421 · scaref@bowdoin.edu · (207) 725-3288