14.05 linear feet
Catalog Number: 1.7
- Records of the Executive Government, 1805-1875 , 2 linear feet.
- Minutes of faculty meetings, 1871- , 2 linear feet.
- Faculty committees : official reports, 1927- , 7 linear feet.
- Curriculum and Educational Policy Committee (CEP): minutes, 1953- , 1.3 linear feet.
- Study Committee on Graduate Programs, 1966-68 , .75 linear feet.
- Recording Committee : minutes, 1911- , .5 linear feet
- Library committee : minutes, 1958-59 , .25 linear feet.
- Lectures and Concerts Committee : reports and funded requests 1973- , .25 linear feet.
Agency History /
During the early years of the college, there was little distinction between faculty and administration. The executive government consisted of the president, the teaching faculty and the librarian of the college. This group debated curriculum and discipline questions and drafted the annual report to the Visiting Committee of the Board of Trustees. By 1875, this role of the executive government was superseded by the faculty meeting, although the records of the two groups overlap for a period of four years. As the college administration expanded, the faculty meeting became more concerned with academic matters and less with administrative policies. The president traditionally sat as head of the faculty. Official minutes of faculty meetings are held by the Office of the Dean for Academic Affairs until deposited in the archives. Copies of official reports of faculty committees are deposited in the archives when they are submitted to the faculty.
Scope and Content:
Records of the faculty begin with the records of executive government in 1805 and continue through the records of the faculty, the reports of the faculty and minutes of faculty meetings, as well as reports presented to the faculty at meetings. Each series documents the governing of the college by the president and faculty. Records of specific faculty committees are also represented, especially the Committee on Educational Policy (CEP), the Recording Committee and the Lectures and Concerts Committee.
Cite as: Faculty: Records, Minutes and Reports. George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives. Bowdoin College Library.
Access Restrictions: Some material restricted. Consult finding aid for specific information.