7.0 linear feet.
Catalog Number: 5.4
Agency History /
The Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum and Arctic Studies Center exist to promote an understanding of and appreciation for the human cultures and natural environments found in Arctic regions. The Museum was established in 1967 in recognition of Bowdoin College's long association with explorers and their work. It is named for Robert E. Peary (Class of 1877) and Donald B. MacMillan (Class of 1898), two internationally known Arctic explorers. The College installed a modest exhibit of Arctic objects in Searles Science building in the mid-50s. The growing collection was moved to its present location in Hubbard Hall in 1967. The Museum's collections include arctic exploration gear, natural history specimens, and artifacts and drawings made by Inuit and Indians of North America.
Scope and Content:
Contains records pertaining to the creation and operation of the Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum. There are historical records, including materials relating to the founding, design and construction of the Museum space; general office files; correspondence from the office of the Museum director; reaccreditation reports; and guest registers.
Cite as: Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum: Records. George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives. Bowdoin College Library.
Access Restrictions: Some materials restricted. Consult series descriptions for specific information.