50.3 linear feet.
Catalog Number: 2.1
- Matriculation Books, 1802- 1 linear foot.
- Attendance Books, 1807-1893 0.5 linear feet.
- Transcripts (Official), Rankings and Academic Records, 1840- 20 linear feet.
- Transcripts (Unofficial), 1990- 8.5 linear feet.
- Grade Sheets, 1972- 8.5 linear feet.
- Transcripts (Official), Non-Graduate, 1907- 2 linear feet.
- Transcripts (Official), Special and Summer Students, 1942- 2.5 linear feet.
- Grade Sheets, Special and Summer Students, 1940-1986
1 linear foot.
- Annotated Catalogues, 1970- 2 linear feet.
- Registration Packets, 1987- 0.5 linear feet.
- Data, Notices, and Schedules of Course Offerings, 1877- , n.d. 2.55 linear feet.
- Diplomas n.d., 0.25 linear feet.
- General Correspondence, 1894-1923 0.25 linear feet.
- Recording Committee, 1974 - , 0.75 linear feet.
Agency History /
The Office of the Registrar is responsible for monitoring students' progress toward and certifying students' completion of the degree. Specifically, the office analyzes and approves transfers of credit and advanced placement credit, communicates with academic departments about completion of major/minor requirements, tracks the awarding of honors, and completes all documentation for international students. In addition, this office maintains student and course information, course scheduling, registration, grades, classroom assignments and transcripts.
The first registrar, George T. Files, was appointed by President Hyde in 1900. His early duties replaced much of the work formerly done by class officers and the Faculty Recording Committee: schedules, registration, rules, regulations, absences, excuses, and reports of standing. This office was also responsible for the catalogue and bulletins. Charles T. Burnett succeeded Files in 1905. It is unclear who served in this capacity after Burnett. Helen Buffum Johnson was appointed by President Sills in 1947 and served until 1979. Rhoda Z. Bernstein succeeded Johnson. Sarah Bernard replaced Bernstein in 1989 and served until 1995, the year that the Office of the Registrar was reorganized and renamed the Office of Student Records. In 2007 Christine Cote, Registrar, announced that the name of the office would revert to Office of the Registrar, the more traditional name for an office handling student records.
Scope and Content:
This collection contains the academic records of students who attended Bowdoin College and other materials produced and maintained by the Office of the Registrar. Significant holdings in the collection are the offical and unofficial transcripts of all students, including summer and special students, and the signature books of all matriculants. The earliest record is from 1802; the bulk of the material dates from the mid-1880's.
Cite as: Office of Student Records/Registrar. George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives. Bowdoin College Library.
Access Restrictions: Some material restricted. Consult finding aid for specific information.