3.0 linear feet.
Catalog Number: 2.4
Agency History /
The Career Planning Center was created in 1944 as the Placement Bureau. Originally the office was primarily concerned with establishing contacts between current students and Bowdoin alumni who could offer them employment. As its interests and contacts expanded beyond the world of Bowdoin alumni, the name was changed to the Placement Office in 1961. Throughout the 1960s and 1970s the office aided both graduates and undergraduates in finding permanent and part-time employment. As career placement became more professional in the early 1970s, the office was renamed as the Office of Career Counseling and Placement. In addition to the more traditional services the office began to offer advise on resume writing and other job hunting skills. In 1978 it was renamed the Office of Career Services (OCS). Since July 1995 it has been known as the Career Planning Center.
Scope and Content:
The bulk of the material is publications produced by the Office of Career Services. Most significant is the collection of the Bulletin, a bi-weekly (originally weekly) publication that identifies employment opportunities and gives notices of on-campus recruiting, and information about graduate study. Although the office has existed since 1944, there are no records prior to 1962.
Cite as: Career Planning Center: records and publications. George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives. Bowdoin College Library.
Access Restrictions: Some material restricted. Consult finding aid for specific information.