2.5 linear feet.
Catalog Number: 1.11
Agency History /
The opening of the Capital Campaign was announced officially at Commencement in June 1962. The start of the campaign was the culmination of almost ten years of planning following the Sesquicentennial celebration in 1952. In June 1961, following a recommendation made by the Development Committee, the Governing Boards voted to begin a capital campaign the following June. The Campaign was directed by a national committee comprised of Governing Boards members and alumni. Phase 1 Chairman of the national committee was Charles A. Cary (Bowdoin, 1910). Phase 2 Chairman was Sanford B. Cousins (Bowdoin, 1920). The national committee was responsible for recruiting regional volunteers to make personal appeals to alumni in their areas. Even though it was believed to be ambitious, the committee, decided upon a goal of $10 million. In June 1963 the Ford Foundation offered a challenge grant of $2.5 million if Bowdoin had $7.5 million in hand by June 1966. When the campaign closed June 30, 1966, the college had exceeded the challenge with over $10.3 million in subscriptions. A portion of the funds acquired during the Capital Campaign were added to the endowment. The remaining funds were used to build the Senior Center, Hawthorne-Longfellow Library, a new gymnasium and to renovate a number of other existing facilities, including dormitories, Hubbard Hall and Moulton Union.
Scope and Content:
Records of the Capital Campaign of Bowdoin College. Files contain general information on the campaign, including correspondence regarding plans, progress and committee activities. Files also include summary information of campaign activities, including official reports and appeal and progress brochures.
Cite as: Capital Campaign of Bowdoin College. George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives. Bowdoin College Library.
Closed for 75 years from date of creation.